Offering a rigorous curriculum that takes education to the next level and prepares students for the world by encouraging creativity, independence, and academic excellence. Zoo School students study and learn at John Ball Zoo! This once in a lifetime experience allows students to go beyond the classroom and into the zoo and the over 100 wooded acres surrounding it. Zoo School provides an education adventure unlike any other.
Consider Zoo School for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in a nationally recognized educational environment.
- You value a hands-on, practice-driven learning experience.
- You want an innovative curriculum designed to engage your child’s creativity.
Zoo School is proud to offer:
- Parent Teacher Community Council.
- Volunteer opportunities through John Ball Zoo.
- A collaboration with the West Michigan Whitecaps, which helps students learn the fundamentals of business and management.
EXCEL AT ZOO SCHOOL
Zoo School is not only in the top 5% in all of Michigan on combined measures of student achievement and growth, but was also named one the top 25 “Coolest Schools in America” by Parent and Child Magazine. Zoo School is a program for gifted and talented students, led by teachers who understand their needs and abilities.
In addition to the required sixth grade curriculum, Zoo School offers special units on astronomy, zoology, forestry, chemistry, and physics.
Students at Zoo School enhance their learning with a number of group and individual projects throughout their year, culminating in an independently chosen final project that allows the student to creatively demonstrate research and presentation skills.
Students have the opportunity to participate in unique educational experiences including animal feeding, raising salmon, recycling, navigating trails, and water sampling. They also participate in two camping trips during the school year.
THE ZOO SCHOOL EXPERIENCE
Zoo School has a 40 year history of providing students with unique opportunities they won’t find anywhere else, including:
• Behind the scenes access to John Ball Zoo
• Fry Bread
• Camp Roger
• Environmental Issues Play
• Ski trip
• James Veen Observatory trip
• Spring camp