STOCKING ELEMENTARY CULTURAL CENTER
Stocking Elementary is focused on providing academic experiences to prepare students for college and career. Known for its beautiful, historic architecture and strong community, Stocking Elementary was updated in 2013 with a $3 million renovation. It is located in the West Grand Neighborhood.
Consider Stocking for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You value the stability and consistency of a preschool-to-grade-5 community.
- You want a Spanish language requirement.
- You want a Challenge Scholars school.
AVAILABLE AT STOCKING
Stocking Elementary Cultural Center is proud to offer:
- Parent Teacher Community Council.
- English as Second Language (ESL)services.
- Challenge Scholars: Grand Rapids Community Foundation and GRPS are coming together to provide the academic, social and financial resources students need to prepare for and go to college. Challenge Scholars may be granted a renewable scholarship to a Michigan college, university or vocational school.
- Stocking’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
EXCEL AT STOCKING
In the last three years, Stocking has seen the number of students at or above grade level increase by 12% in math and 15% in reading. Staff are trained to identify individual student needs and customize their teaching to the student to help them succeed. 96% of parents feel their child is challenged at Stocking.
Stocking participates in Project Lead The Way (PLTW), which exposes students to science, technology, engineering, and math. PLTW teaches problem solving and collaboration through projectbased learning. Students learn real world skills and are introduced to STEM careers through this innovative program.
Parents are their child’s first teacher and Stocking recognizes how important it is for parents to be an active part of their child’s education. 95% of parents said they have regular opportunities to be involved at Stocking. Parents are welcomed as volunteers, at family nights, and in their child’s classroom.
Stocking is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 93% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
Staff at Stocking take a fair, firm, and consistent approach to discipline. In a recent survey, 95% of parents said they see that the school’s rules are consistently enforced for all students. This approach is paired with a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS), which recognizes students for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The result is a safe and secure learning environment.