NORTH PARK MONTESSORI (PK-8)
North Park Montessori (1-8)
3375 Cheney Ave. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
Breakfast 8:50 a.m.
Start Time 9:10 a.m.
Dismissal 4:06 p.m.
Half Day Dismissal 12:20 p.m.
North Park Early Childhood Center @ Wellerwood (PK-K)
800 Wellerwood St. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
A.M. Session 9:00 a.m.-12:08 p.m.
P.M. Session 12:48 p.m.-3:56 p.m.
The Kent ISD COVID-19 School Dashboard provides parents, educators and the general public transparency on school-associated COVID-19 cases in local public and nonpublic schools throughout Kent County. Numbers are updated daily through a partnership with the Kent County Health Department.
Our mission is to ensure all students are educated, self-directed, and productive members of society through a Montessori education based on respect, individuality, a love of learning and freedom with responsibility.
North Park Montessori is proud to offer:
- Multi-age classes for students in three-year-old preschool – 8th grade
- On and off-campus gardening opportunities for grades PreK – 8.
- An active Parent Teacher Organization
- Numerous field study opportunities including:
- IMMERSE at the Grand Rapids Museum
- Zoo Lab at the John Ball Zoo
- GR Symphony trips
- Blandford Nature Cente
- Meijer Gardens
- MS East Coast Historical Study
- MS UP Geological Study
- Middle School Self Expression
- Grand Rapids Downtown Market
- An active Service Learning program:
- Clark Retirement Home
- Feeding America
- Creston Neighborhood Association
- Kids Food Basket
- God’s Kitchen
- Ridgeview Orchards
- American Heart Association
- PBIS and Restorative Practices
- MS Band, MS Choir, General Music, Art, and PE
- A variety of team sport opportunities grades K – 8.
- Robotics in grades 4 – 8.
Awards and More…
- Multiple Donor’s Choose Award recipients to assist in classroom projects
- Biggby Classroom of the Month $500 Award
- Imagine Math Classroom Award Winner $250 Award
- First Place and Best in Show GRPS Student Art Contest
- Jump Jam – First Place 5th grade Speed Relay, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Iron Kids
- Cross Country First Place – 2nd/3rd grade Girls and 4th/5th grade Girls and Boys
- MSVMA State Honors Choir – 2 students chosen
- MSBOA 1 Rating for Middle School Band
- PE Grant $1000 for Lacrosse
North Park Montessori is located on the Northeast side of town near Plainfield Ave and 3 Mile Rd. Our 1st through 8th grades are located on the main North Park campus at 3375 Cheney Ave NE. Our Children's House classrooms are located in the North Park Early Childhood Center at 800 Wellerwood Dr. NE.
Dr. Maria Montessori, the Italian pediatrician who founded the method, believed self- motivation to be the key to learning. The Montessori teacher acts as a facilitator whose role is to stimulate interest in all facets of a child-centered learning environment. Montessori education recognizes the importance of all developmental areas, including social, emotional, physical and intellectual needs.
The Montessori Classroom
The Montessori method uses hands-on lessons and experiences to help students learn by doing. Students learn in cohorts of three age levels. Typically, students will have the same teacher for multiple years. The multi-age classroom allows the students to become part of a learning community that fosters respect, understanding, and tolerance.
Did You Know?
- Grand Rapids Public Schools has a 40-year history of public Montessori education, one of the longest-running public programs in the US.
- Elementary schools in the program consistently outperform other GRPS and neighboring districts on all standardized tests.
- Grand Rapids Montessori High School has one of the best graduation rates in the region, graduating more than 90% of its students.
- With three locations, Montessori in Grand Rapids Public Schools serves more than 1000 students from preschool through grade 12.