MLK Jr. Leadership Academy (PK-8 Grade)l
Dear MLK Leadership Academy Parents, Guardians and Staff:
On 5/7/21, we were notified that a student or staff member at MLK Leadership Academy has tested positive for COVID-19. We are following the procedures for a positive test and working with the Kent County Health Department to notify any staff member or students who may be considered close contacts.
The KCHD defines “close contact” as either:
- Being within three feet of a COVID-19 infected person for 15 minutes or more (with or without a mask)
- Having direct contact with infectious secretions from a COVID-19 infected person or a person with any COVID-19 symptom(s) (e.g., being coughed on).
There were no close contacts identified with this case.
The district is required to notify the Kent County Health Department of any positive tests of students or staff. The Grand Rapids Public Schools Health Services staff will conduct contact tracing and may contact you with quarantine instructions if it is determined that you are a close contact.
Under HIPAA Laws, we are required to protect the confidentiality of this individual unless there is a reason to inform you of their identity. We are informing you that we are moving forward under the guidance of the Kent County Health Department and that measures have been taken to protect the wellbeing of staff, students and families.
Please continue to monitor yourself for any new symptoms that may be related to COVID-19. If you notice changes in your health, please contact your medical provider immediately and consider getting tested.
As always, the safety of our staff and students is our first priority. All affected areas are being thoroughly cleaned using district approved disinfectant. If you have questions or concerns regarding COVID-19, please contact me or our school nurse.
Harvey Crawley, Principal
Student Daily Health Screener
Each student will need their own form.
Drawing upon its namesake, Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership Academy staff instill the values of hard work, academic achievement, appreciation for diversity, and leadership among students. Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership Academy is located in southeast Grand Rapids in a newly constructed building. The school features a beautiful library, state-of-the-art classrooms, and collaborative learning spaces.
Consider MLK for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You value the stability and consistency of a kindergarten-to-grade-8 community.
- You want to track your child’s progress online.
- You believe diversity is a necessary component of a solid education.- You need a school for a child with a mild cognitive impairment.
AVAILABLE AT MLK
MLK Jr. Leadership Academy is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council
- MLK’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization provides opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- First United Methodist Church, Sebastian Foundation, Keller
- Foundation, Rockford Construction, and Camp Fire USA volunteer mentors provide extensive tutoring in reading and math, and organize special community outings to local museums and cultural attractions.
Thanks to committed community partner, First United Methodist Church, all kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students at MLK receive tutoring in reading. Not only does this help prepare them for academic success, but it also provides students with one on one attention with a caring adult. Other community partners support field trips, student celebrations, academic needs, social/emotional needs, and more.
MLK has shown a commitment to ensuring students experience an engaging curriculum and high achievement. Staff work with each student to identify their needs and help them take their learning to the next level. As a result, 90% of parents feel their child is challenged at school.
MLK is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 97% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
Parents are their child’s first teacher and MLK recognizes how important it is for parents to be an active part of their child’s education. 96% of parents said they have regular opportunities to be involved at MLK. Parents are welcomed as volunteers, at family nights, and in their child’s classroom.
SAFE AND SECURE
A recent survey showed that 93% of students feel safe at MLK. Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.