MLK Jr. Leadership Academy
Drawing upon its namesake, Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership Academy staff instill the values of hard work, academic achievement, appreciation for diversity, and leadership among students. Martin Luther King, Jr. Leadership Academy is located in southeast Grand Rapids in a newly constructed building. The school features a beautiful library, state-of-the-art classrooms, and collaborative learning spaces.
Consider MLK for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations..
- You value the stability and consistency of a kindergarten-to-grade-8 community.
- You want to track your child’s progress online.
- You believe diversity is a necessary component of a solid education.- You need a school for a child with a mild cognitive impairment.
AVAILABLE AT MLK
MLK Jr. Leadership Academy is proud to offer:
- Parent Teacher Community Council
- MLK’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization provides opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- First United Methodist Church, Sebastian Foundation, Keller
- Foundation, Rockford Construction, and Camp Fire USA volunteer mentors provide extensive tutoring in reading and math, and organize special community outings to local museums and cultural attractions.
Thanks to committed community partner, First United Methodist Church, all kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade students at MLK receive tutoring in reading. Not only does this help prepare them for academic success, but it also provides students with one on one attention with a caring adult. Other community partners support field trips, student celebrations, academic needs, social/emotional needs, and more.
MLK has shown a commitment to ensuring students experience an engaging curriculum and high achievement. Staff work with each student to identify their needs and help them take their learning to the next level. As a result, 90% of parents feel their child is challenged at school.
MLK is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 97% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
Parents are their child’s first teacher and MLK recognizes how important it is for parents to be an active part of their child’s education. 96% of parents said they have regular opportunities to be involved at MLK. Parents are welcomed as volunteers, at family nights, and in their child’s classroom.
SAFE AND SECURE
A recent survey showed that 93% of students feel safe at MLK. Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.