CENTER FOR ECONOMICOLOGY (6 Grade Only)
Offering an integrated curriculum that encourages social responsibility, environmental stewardship, and academic excellence. The Center for Economicology is co-located at City High Middle School at the former Creston High School campus. Nearby green space offers many opportunities for outdoor exploration.
Consider Center for Economicology for your child if:
- You appreciate respect for one another and the environment.
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- Want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations and community standards.
- You want a curriculum designed to prepare students for college.
The Center for Economicology is proud to partner with:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- Community Engagement partners, including GVSU and Huff Park.
- Wege Foundation.
- Groundswell/Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative.
- Camp Miniwanca.
- Salmon in Schools, MI DNR.
- West Michigan Environmental Action Council, Adopt-a-Stream.
CFE is in the top 5% of all Michigan schools on combined measures of student achievement and growth over time. It is also recognized in the top 25 “Coolest Schools in America” by Parent and Child Magazine.
Students at CFE participate in engaging hands-on activities including a daily sustainability brainstorm, a daily outdoor connection experience, discussion-based lesson design, soil/water sampling and analysis, and lab experiments.
Students at CFE enhance their learning through innovative, hands-on projects, including:
- Field studies
- Recycled art
- Green home
- Shelter building and survival
- Water studies
- Visiting a wind farm
- GVSU research vessel
WHAT IS ECONOMICOLOGY?
The term, Economicology, is a combination of the words economy and ecology. Coined by Peter Wege, it can be described as reasoned, respectful, engaged stewardship of the Earth household in service of both people and the planet. There are six guiding principles that drive the philosophy behind our program. The “Six E’s” are: