BROOKSIDE ELEMENTARY (PK-5 Grade)
December 4, 2020
Dear Brookside Elementary Families:
Today we learned that a staff member at Brookside Elementary School has tested positive for COVID-19. Below are some items you need to know regarding this situation:
- Brookside Elementary School is cleaned daily and special attention will again be paid to employee work areas. The building does not need to be closed.
- There were no close contact identified in this case so there are no staff who need to isolate or quarantine at this time.
- Identifying and sharing specific information about those involved is prohibited by privacy/HIPAA regulations. We are following the medical guidance of the Kent County Health Department with additional guidance from our district nursing staff.
- Should you or a member of your family become ill, please contact your supervisor, as well as your healthcare provider. If you become ill, please contact HR so COVID-19 related benefits can be discussed.
- Staff in quarantine may not enter buildings or participate in district events and should remain home for the duration of the quarantine.
- We are continuing to engage in mitigation and sanitization protocols to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
We greatly appreciate your partnership as we work together to support our students and staff during this time. Please contact me with any questions you have in the coming days.
Melissa Wozniak, Principal
Return to Learn Parent Information Session
Beautiful, walkable, and surrounded by green space, Brookside Elementary combines a strong academic program with a consistent behavioral focus. It is located in Southeast Grand Rapids next to the Gerald R. Ford Nature Center and the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.
Consider Brookside Elementary for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You need a school offering English as Second Language (ESL) services.
- You need a school with an all-day kindergarten.
- You believe community mentors can uniquely help young learners.
Brookside has shown a commitment to ensuring students experience an engaging curriculum and high achievement. Staff work with each student to identify their needs and help them take their learning to the next level.
Brookside is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 85% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
The parents at Brookside are committed to partnering with school staff to build a positive, collaborative learning environment. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to be involved by school staff. The result is a collaborative partnership that benefits all students.
Staff at Brookside take a fair, firm, and consistent approach to discipline. In fact, 85% of parents said they see that the school’s rules are consistently enforced for all students. This approach is paired with a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS), which recognizes students for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The result is a safe and secure learning environment.
AVAILABLE AT BROOKSIDE
Brookside Elementary is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council
- Community-based mentoring.
- English as a Second Language services.
- Volunteer opportunities through Steelcase, Kroc Community Center and Schools of Hope.
- Located next to the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.