SOUTHWEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - ACADEMIA BILINGUE (PK-6)
SOUTHWEST MIDDLE HIGH SCHOOL - ACADEMIA BILINGUE (7-12)
February 25, 2021
Dear Southwest Community Campus Parents, Guardians and Staff:
On February 25th, we were notified that a student or staff member at Southwest Community Campus School has tested positive for COVID-19. We are following the procedures for a positive test and working with the Kent County Health Department to notify any staff member or students who may be considered close contacts.
The KCHD defines “close contact” as either:
- Being within three feet of a COVID-19 infected person for 15 minutes or more (with or without a mask)
- Having direct contact with infectious secretions from a COVID-19 infected person or a person with any COVID-19 symptom(s) (e.g., being coughed on).
There were no close contacts identified with this case.
The district is required to notify the Kent County Health Department of any positive tests of students or staff. The Grand Rapids Public Schools Health Services staff will conduct contact tracing and may contact you with quarantine instructions if it is determined that you are a close contact.
Under HIPAA Laws, we are required to protect the confidentiality of this individual unless there is a reason to inform you of their identity. We are informing you that we are moving forward under the guidance of the Kent County Health Department and that measures have been taken to protect the wellbeing of staff, students and families.
Please continue to monitor yourself for any new symptoms that may be related to COVID-19. If you notice changes in your health, please contact your medical provider immediately and consider getting tested.
As always, the safety of our staff and students is our first priority. All affected areas are being thoroughly cleaned using district approved disinfectant. If you have questions or concerns regarding COVID-19, please contact me or our school nurse.
Carlos De La Barrera, Principal
Student Daily Health Screener
Each student will need their own form.
Return to Learn Parent Information Session
Southwest Community Campus offers a proven dual immersion experience in English and Spanish to help students become bilingual and bicultural. Southwest Community Campus is located on the southwest side of Grand Rapids in one of Grand Rapids’ historic school buildings. The school has had modern updates, including a new cafeteria while maintaining its historic charm.
Consider SWCC for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You want your child to have opportunities for bilingual literacy instruction.
- You need a school for English as a Second Language (ESL) students.
- You value an education that focuses on strong character values.
Southwest Community Campus is expanding to become a PK-12 Spanish Immersion school! Construction is underway for the new high school building. You can apply now for Southwest Community Campus by visiting apply.grps.org. Check out the renderings of our newest high school here.
AVAILABLE AT SWCC
Southwest Community Campus is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council
- The SWCC partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization, provides opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- SWCC is a Schools of Hope reading and mentoring site with over 100 students receiving help from more than 100 volunteers.
EXCEL AT SWCC
The two-way immersion program, also known as dual immersion, serves students whose primary language is English and students whose primary language is Spanish in the same classroom. Students at SWCC become bilingual and bicultural. Research shows that bilingual people are positioned well for a successful future with more opportunities at the college level and in the workplace, better performance on standardized tests, and are more competitive in an increasingly global economy.
Southwest Community Campus staff are working hard to ensure that students are meeting and exceeding their goals. As a result, the number of students reading at or above grade level has increased over the past 3 years. Students are developing the important skills they need to be college and career ready!
The parents at SWCC are committed to partnering with school staff to build a positive, collaborative learning environment. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to be involved by school staff. The result is a collaborative partnership that benefits all students.
The teachers at Southwest Community Campus are caring and dedicated. They believe in their students and have an environment of high expectations. The highly qualified bilingual staff are trained to meet the needs of all learners.
SAFE AND SECURE
Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.