SOUTHWEST COMMUNITY CAMPUS (PK-9 Grades)
Return to Learn Parent Information Session
Southwest Community Campus offers a proven dual immersion experience in English and Spanish to help students become bilingual and bicultural. Southwest Community Campus is located on the southwest side of Grand Rapids in one of Grand Rapids’ historic school buildings. The school has had modern updates, including a new cafeteria while maintaining its historic charm.
Consider SWCC for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You want your child to have opportunities for bilingual literacy instruction.
- You need a school for English as a Second Language (ESL) students.
- You value an education that focuses on strong character values.
Southwest Community Campus is expanding to become a PK-12 Spanish Immersion school! Construction is underway for the new high school building. You can apply now for Southwest Community Campus by visiting apply.grps.org. Check out the renderings of our newest high school here.
AVAILABLE AT SWCC
Southwest Community Campus is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council
- The SWCC partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization, provides opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- SWCC is a Schools of Hope reading and mentoring site with over 100 students receiving help from more than 100 volunteers.
EXCEL AT SWCC
The two-way immersion program, also known as dual immersion, serves students whose primary language is English and students whose primary language is Spanish in the same classroom. Students at SWCC become bilingual and bicultural. Research shows that bilingual people are positioned well for a successful future with more opportunities at the college level and in the workplace, better performance on standardized tests, and are more competitive in an increasingly global economy.
Southwest Community Campus staff are working hard to ensure that students are meeting and exceeding their goals. As a result, the number of students reading at or above grade level has increased over the past 3 years. Students are developing the important skills they need to be college and career ready!
The parents at SWCC are committed to partnering with school staff to build a positive, collaborative learning environment. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to be involved by school staff. The result is a collaborative partnership that benefits all students.
The teachers at Southwest Community Campus are caring and dedicated. They believe in their students and have an environment of high expectations. The highly qualified bilingual staff are trained to meet the needs of all learners.
SAFE AND SECURE
Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.