Summer School 2020
Thank you for your interest in summer school for your GRPS student!
Summer School Distance Program
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, on April 2, Governor Gretchen Whitmer issued an executive order suspending in-person instruction for pupils in kindergarten through grade 12 for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. It also required the district to develop and implement a Continuity of Learning Plan to deliver instruction to students through the academic year. GRPS is adapting this plan for our 2020 summer school programming.
Why Summer School is Important
- Research demonstrates that some of a students's learning gains from the school year are lost during the summer months. This is referred to as summer learning loss.
- Skills like reading comprehension and word recognition are particularly vulnerable to summer learning loss.
- Summer learning loss accumulates over the years; it's been estimated that two-thirds of the reading achievement gap in ninth grade can be attributed to summer learning loss experienced during the first five years of schooling.
- Summer school is a strategy for lessening the effect of summer learning loss.
Helpful links providing additional information:
- Summer Distance One-Pager, provides information about summer school dates, daily schedules, topics of learning, and technology tools.
- GRPS Summer Continuation of Learning Plan (coming soon)
- Additional Resources (COVID-19 resources, student/parent resources, community meal sites, energy assistance, etc.)