- We use Reading Street Curriculum (2011) by the Pearson Publishing Company. We love that it invites today’s learners to engage in high level thinking at a variety of levels. Students spend time working at their own reading level daily while being challenged to progress. Your child can do fun activities that support classroom learning and practice language skills at www.pearsonsuccessnet.com. This is also a great way for parents to stay engaged with school learning! Kids in K-5 have a password that they use regularly.
- For our math program, we use the Common Core State Standards to guide our hands on, interactive learning. You can learn more about what we teach at http://www.corestandards.org/Math/
- MobyMax for reading and math activities!
- Each Shawmut Hills student has a username & password – contact us for help
- Sign in at www.mobymax.com .
- Kahn Academy is a dynamic resource for kids and parents! You can learn by watching a cool tutorial on almost any topic on earth! Really, check it out! Sign up FOR FREE- it will be worth the time!
- Other fun learning websites we recommend are below. Please remember that learning to type is both fun and important for today’s learner. Embracing technology with your child, helping him/her set boundaries and understand proper usage is another part of effective parenting in today’s world. Enjoy!
- Shawmut Hills staff fully believes that intelligence grows like a muscle! Here is a great news article about the topic. Take some time to read it with your child- it will make a difference!
As more and more assessments go "on-line," typing becomes more and more important. Part of your child's reading homework can be typing practice - fun, right? You could easily make this "weekend homework" on a regular basis. Here are some sites we recommend:
- Schools of Hope Tutoring Program
- Junior Achievement
- Chess Club
- Set Club
- Kindness Club
- Handwriting Competition
- Spelling Bee
- Young Author’s Club/Convention
- Basketball Teams (3rd-5th grade for girls and boys)
- Track & Field (2nd-5th grade for girls and boys)
- Cross Country (K-5th grade for girls and boys)
- Running Club (for students, staff, and family!!)
- Volleyball, Soccer, Basketball, Wrestling, Football, Swimming for 6th-8th graders!
- Art Challenges
- Character Counts
- Spring Concerts and Community Holiday Sing-a-Long