RIDGEMOOR PARK MONTESSORI – OUR SCHOOL, OUR COMMUNITY
- $1.5 million dollar building renovation including roof, doors, window glazing, carpet, paint, lighting, HVAC, kitchen, furniture, technology, materials, and playground equipment.
- All-school Monday morning meetings
- Active and growing parent/teacher/community group (PTA) committed to supporting the instruction of students and the professional development of our teachers
- Diverse student population representing cultures from around the world including Africa, Korea, Puerto Rico, and the Middle East
- We embrace the tenets of GRACE – Growth, Responsibility, Acceptance, Courtesy, Empathy
AWARDS AND MORE
- Recipient of Lake Michigan Credit Union “One Pencil” Project (Liz Redmond)
- GVSU Michigan Literacy Project Recipient (Kelli Rowland)
- Delta Dental of Michigan Grant Recipient for an Impression 5 Science Center Experience (Mackenzie Ritsema/Liz Redmond)
- Grand Rapids Student Advancement Foundation (SAF) Monthly School Winner (December) for “Art & Literacy” Submission
Dr. Maria Montessori, the Italian pediatrician who founded the method, believed self- motivation to be the key to learning. The Montessori teacher acts as a facilitator whose role is to stimulate interest in all facets of a child- centered learning environment. Montessori education recognizes the importance of all developmental areas, including social, emotional, physical and intellectual needs.
THE MONTESSORI CLASSROOM: The Montessori method uses hands-on lessons and experiences to help students learn by doing. Students learn in cohorts of three age levels. Typically, students will have the same teacher for multiple years. The multi-age classroom allows the students to become part of a learning community that fosters respect, understanding, and tolerance.
DID YOU KNOW…?
- Grand Rapids Public Schools has a 40-year history of public Montessori education, one of the longest- running public programs in the US.
- Elementary schools in the program consistently outperform other GRPS and neighboring districts on all standardized tests.
- Grand Rapids Montessori High School has one of the best graduation rates in the region, graduating more than 90% of its students.