Puerto Rico is facing a humanitarian crisis after Hurricane Maria ripped through the island last month. Grand Rapids Public Schools and the City of Grand Rapids, working with Puerto Rico Rises, will be holding a donation drive to benefit the victims of Hurricane Maria to get relief supplies to the island as quickly as possible.
The donation drive will be held from Monday, October 16 – Thursday, October 19. GRPS staff, student and parent donations will be accepted at all GRPS schools. The GRPS administration building, located at 1331 Franklin Street SE, will serve as the general public donation drop-off site.
The following is a list of specific items that Puerto Rico Rises has requested. We respectfully ask that donations be limited to these items.
- Batteries (especially C and D)
- Portable water purification
- Solar lanterns/lightsticks
- Solar cell phone chargers
- Battery/solar powered radios
- Disinfecting wipes
- Tampons, pads and liners
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss and mouthwash
- Baby wipes
- Garbage bags
- Dry and canned pet food
- Canned goods (Span, corned beef, tuna, chicken, etc.)
- Canned beans (kidney, pink, black, white, chickpeas)
- Canned veggies (corn, greens, carrots, etc.)
- Bottled water
- Adult and baby wipes
Canned baby formula and baby food
WHAT: Donation drive to benefit victims of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico
WHEN: Donations will be accepted Monday, October 16 – Thursday, October 19
WHERE: GRPS student/parent/staff donations accepted at all GRPS schools. General public donations accepted at the GRPS Franklin Campus, located at 1331 Franklin Street SE.