Consumers Energy, Grand Rapids Public Schools to Announce Winner of Eighth Annual SmartArt Contest
Carolyn Bloodworth, secretary/treasurer of the Consumers Energy Foundation
Daniel Lopez, winner of the first SmartArt contest
Grand Rapids Public Schools finalists
Consumers Energy and Grand Rapids Public Schools will celebrate the top 10 artists selected for the 2021 SmartArt (Students Making Art with a Renewable Theme) Contest and announce this year’s winner during an event at ArtPrize on Sunday, September 19 at 1 PM.
The SmartArt contest is an annual high school art competition in partnership with Grand Rapids Public Schools that’s part of ArtPrize and sponsored by Consumers Energy. The contest highlights renewable energy through art.
Members of the public selected this year’s winner by voting for their favorite piece of art. You can see the 10 finalists at www.force4Michigan.com.
Sunday, September 19, 2021 from 1:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Media availability following the event
Piazza Studio Park 123 Ionia Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- The contest’s top winner will receive a $1,000 college scholarship and a new Apple laptop courtesy of Consumers Energy.
- The artwork will be on display at the Ledyard building, suite 160, as part of ArtPrize through collaboration with Grand Rapids Public Schools and Consumers Energy.
- This is the eighth year of the SmartArt competition, which stands for Students Making Art with a Renewable Theme. The competition didn’t take place in 2020 due to the pandemic.
- The 10 finalists, along with their artwork title, grade, and high school are, in alphabetical order:
- Manual Gomez Diaz, Sewing Power, 10th, Innovation Central High;
- Sharon Gonzalez, Sandhill, 10th, City HMS;
- Nevaeh Martin, Left Untreated, 11th, C.A. Frost MHS;
- Sarah Robinette, Life Underwater,10th, City HMS;
- Gavin Scanlon, It’s Not Too Late, 9th, C.A. Frost MHS;
- Ruby Taylor, Changing Tides, 11th, C.A. Frost MHS;
- Lilly Tuttle, Wind of Wetlands, 11th, C.A. Frost MHS;
- Jayde West, Something Better, 9th, City HMS;
- Silas Williams, Earth Wise, 10th, City HMS;
- Theo Stella Williams, Life’s Helping Hands, 9th, C.A. Frost
- Consumers Energy is Michigan’s largest energy provider, providing natural gas and/or electricity to 6.8 million of the state’s 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
# # #
Media Contact: Josh Paciorek, 517-243-9036