GRPS Announces Virtual School Choice Expo for All Neighborhood & Theme Schools
Theme school application open with expanded selection criteria, new virtual supports for families
The Grand Rapids Public Schools is hosting a Virtual School Choice Expo for all neighborhood and theme schools on Thursday, February 18, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. There will be presentations about how to enroll in neighborhood schools, how to apply for a theme school, important information on the different programs and services, along with breakout sessions for every school in the district. The link to the virtual expo will be posted to the district website at www.grps.org. The virtual expo will also be recorded and available afterward for families who may not be able to attend.
In addition to the Virtual School Choice Expo, every neighborhood and theme school will also host their own Virtual School Open House. These will also be recorded and posted to the district’s website. A complete list of theindividual school open houses is available on the district website.
The district is now accepting applications for theme schools and, due to COVID-19, adjustments have been made to the theme school application deadline, selection criteria for test-in schools, and out of district testing. The theme school application is available on-line at apply.grps.org.
New Theme School Application Timeline and Rounds:
- Round 1 Application Window: January 4 – February 26
- Round 2 Application Window: March 19 – April 30
Test-In Criteria Changes:
- Each round of the lottery will apply the following filters in sequence:
- Filter 1: Students qualifying MAP scores on both math and reading
- Filter 2: Students qualifying MAP scores on either math or reading
- Due to the COVID-19 impact on testing schedules, students can use qualifying MAP scores from fall 2019, winter 2020, fall 2020, winter 2021, or spring 2021
Out of District Testing: