MLK Jr. Leadership Academy
Consider MLK for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations..
- You value the stability and consistency of a kindergarten-to-grade-8 community.
- You want to track your child’s progress online.
- You believe diversity is a necessary component of a solid education.
- You need a school for a child with a mild cognitive impairment.
AVAILABLE AT MLK
MLK Jr. Leadership Academy is proud to offer:
- Parent Teacher Community Council
- MLK’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization provides opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- First United Methodist Church, Sebastian Foundation, Keller
- Foundation, Rockford Construction, and Camp Fire USA volunteer mentors provide extensive tutoring in reading and math, and organize special community outings to local museums and cultural attractions.
EXCEL AT MLK
SCHOOL UNIFORMS: Students at MLK Jr. follow a uniform dress code, which removes distractions from the classroom, promotes community, and provides a cost saving to families.
MUSIC: Honors choir and band.
SPORTS: Middle school sports in basketball, volleyball, and track and field.
EARTH ONLINE GRADE BOOK: Parents can view updated grades from home.
AFTER SCHOOL: MLK offers an after school math tutoring program Tuesday-Thursday with rigorous academic and enrichment programs for all students.
RULES, SAFETY, DISCIPLINE: All GRPS schools provide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). PBIS is a proactive, team-based framework for creating and sustaining safe and effective schools. Educators emphasize prevention of problem behavior, development of pro-social skills, and the use of data-based problem solving for addressing existing behavior concerns. The result is a fair, firm and consistent approach to rules, safety, and discipline.